Eggplant Lentil Bolognese
Meatless Bolognese is amazing! Give it a try, I promise you won't miss the meat. Serve over whole wheat or chickpea pasta.
- 1 eggplant
- 1/3 cup celery (diced)
- 1/3 cup carrots (diced)
- 1/2 large Spanish onion
- 2 cups baby Bella or crimini mushrooms (chopped)
- 1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 14 oz can of lentils
- 1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 2 tbsp crushed red pepper
- Preheat Oven to 425F.
- Slice eggplant lengthwise and place it on a baking sheet. Salt and pepper if desired.
- Bake for 6 minutes on each side.
- On stovetop heat dutch or large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add vegetable stock, garlic, onion, celery, carrot, and mushrooms.
- Saute 7-10 min until vegetables are soft.
- When eggplant is finished baking, remove from oven and dice.
- Add eggplant to the dutch oven or pot.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, lentils and then stir.
- Add crushed red pepper and basil.
- simmer over medium or medium-low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Serve over pasta and garnish with fresh basil. Also good with multigrain bread.