My Dad loves to make soup and chili. He offered to make me some, so I was agreeable; only if it didn’t have any meat in it. He was compliant and made a delicious bean chili that turned out to be very spicy. Chili peppers are really good for you! Dr. Greger even states that Chili peppers may actually prevent cancer and have an anti-inflammatory role in the body. https://nutritionfacts.org/video/are-chili-peppers-good-for-you/
You can be on a whole food plant based diet and still have the comfort foods of the Standard American Diet. Soups and stews are very easy to make without meat and taste better without meat, in my opinion. Give it a try! My Dad was kind enough to share his recipe so I will post it! Let me know what you think of it!
Spicy Bean Chili
- 2 yellow onions
- 2 cubanelle Peppers, seeded, ribs removed and diced
- 8 Jalapeno Peppers, seeded, ribs removed and diced
- 2 28 oz. cans whole peeled tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 28 oz. cans tomato sauce
- 1 7 oz. can chipotle in adobo *** there is sugar in this! So if cutting out all sugar omit this ingredient
- 1 10 oz. can enchilada sauce ** there is sugar in this! So if cutting out all sugar omit this ingredient
- 1 cup cup of water
- 1 pack of chili seasoning mix (or make your own)
- 2 tbsp TBSP chili powder
- 2 15 oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 15 oz. cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 15 oz. cans light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 15 oz. cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- Add all ingredients to a large stockpot.
- Cook over medium heat for about 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with sliced avocado. Yum!
- For instant Pot: Add all ingredients to the instant pot. Set to soup setting for 10 minutes. Do a quick release and serve!