My kids love brownies, so do I of course! When eating a whole food plant based diet, you can still have dessert. This dessert actually has some nutritional value and is healthy. The best part is, your kids will never know it!!
This recipe is for dark chocolate brownies. These brownies are made with dates to add sweetness, as well as nutritional value.
Why are dates healthy?
They contain the following:
Do you really need any more reasons to add dates to your diet? I don’t. Plus they taste so good in many desserts. You will not miss using white sugar!
Since eggs can’t be used since this is vegan and whole-food plant-based, I use “flax eggs”. You basically take one tablespoon of ground flaxseed and mix with two tablespoons of water. Let that sit for about five minutes and there you have your egg. Oh and I know, you want to know why flaxseed is healthy.
Why is flaxseed healthy?
Flaxseed contains the following:
- Many other vitamins and minerals
Ok, I know you just want the recipe already!!! Keep in mind it’s best to let these cool completely before serving. They are very soft and moist. Which is why I love them. If you are looking for a dry brownie this is not the recipe for you. These are very fudge-like.
This recipe makes a small 8×8 baking dish. They are a thin brownie but they are very rich; so a small piece is all you might need at a time. This recipe can easily be doubled to make a thicker brownie, just add on ten minutes to the baking and cooling time.
Dark Chocolate Brownies
- Food processor or blender
- 2 cups pitted dates
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk or other plant milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (vegan)
- Preheat Oven to 350F.
- Add ground flaxseed and water to a small bowl. Mix and set aside for a few minutes.
- In your food processor or blender, add the dates. Pulse until chopped.
- To the dates, add cocoa powder, coconut flour, baking powder, flaxseed mixture, plant milk, and vanilla. Pulse until mixed together.
- Stir in dark chocolate chips.
- Pour into a non-stick or parchment-lined 8×8 baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Cool in the fridge for at least 15 minutes before cutting.