This recipe is a whole food plant-based take on the classic comfort food, Chicken and Dumplings. I love comfort food and this is one of my favorite meals. As I child my Grandma and Mom both made delicious Chicken and Dumplings. Now that I am eating plant-based I had to come up with an alternative.
This recipe has a yummy gravy made with vegetable stock, herbs, and spices. I used turmeric int his gravy. Either you like it or you don’t. If you don’t like the taste don’t put it in the recipe. it does have a strong flavor, which I enjoy. My son did not enjoy that flavor as much.
Health Benefits of Turmeric:
- may help fight depression
- may help fight cancer
- fight inflammation which helps with things like type 2 diabetes
- helps fight viral infections
- helps to ease PMS symptoms
- can lower bad cholesterol
For the dumplings, I like to use whole wheat flour instead of white flour. You could also substitute a gluten-free flour.
Veggies and Dumplings
- dutch oven or stock pot
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 4 carrots, diced or sliced
- 4 celery ribs, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1/2 cup plant milk, I use unsweetened almond
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup corn meal
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup plant milk, I use unsweetened almond
- Add one cup of vegetable stock, carrots, onions, celery, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, turmeric, parsley to dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat.
- Saute for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the remaining stock and 1/2 cup plant milk.
- Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, plant milk.
- Stir until all ingredients well combined.
- When stock comes to a boil, drop the dumpling dough, heaping tablespoons, into boiling stock.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover partially, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.