Egg rolls are one of the yummiest treats when getting Chinese takeout! I recently came across vegan egg roll wrappers at my local grocery store. I was really excited to find them.
I wanted to keep this recipe simple so it can even be made on a busy weeknight. For the filling, I use a bagged shredded super blend mix. It includes:
- brussels sprouts
- napa cabbage
These vegetables are all great for your body and have tons of nutrients! You can ways use a coleslaw bagged mix or shred your own vegetables to fill the egg rolls. You will saute the mix with some garlic and sesame seeds to make your filling.
I use my air fryer to make these egg rolls, but they will be just as awesome in the oven. They get done a little faster in the air fryer, so if you are like me and are always on the go, I suggest investing in an air fryer.
Folding egg rolls is fairly easy. Make sure you use a small bowl of water and wet the edges when you fold in the egg roll wrapper to prevent it from coming apart while cooking.
Vegan Vegetable Egg Rolls
- 1 10 oz bag shredded super blend/cabbage, carrot mix (or coleslaw mix)
- 1/3 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup tamari or liquid aminos
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 vegan egg roll wrappers
- 1/4 cup water
- If using oven preheat to 425F.
- In a saute pan or wok, add vegetable stock, tamari/aminos, garlic, shredded vegetable mix and sesame seeds over medium heat.
- Saute for 5-7 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- To assemble, place egg roll wrapper on a clean surface with a corner facing you. Put 2 tablespoons of filling in the middle of the wrapper.
- Fold up bottom to make a triangle, then fold in both sides. Wet the edges with water to get it to stick together, then roll it up.
- Wet all seams with water so egg rolls will stay together while cooking.
- Repeat with remaining wrappers.
- If using the oven, bake for 15-20 minutes at 425F on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- If you are using the air fryer, place egg rolls in the air fryer basket. Set the air fryer to 390F and cook for 5 minutes. Flip the egg rolls and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Serve with soy sauce or teriyaki sauce for dipping!
Spicy Teriyaki Sauce
- 1/3 cup liquid aminos or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp garlic chili sauce
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- Add all ingredients to a small bowl and mix.
- Serve as a dipping sauce for egg rolls, wontons or on top of brown rice.