Pasta with alfredo sauce is one of my favorite things to eat. So now that I’m not eating dairy, I had to find a new way to make it. Cashews make a great cream when soaked overnight in water and blended. White, Cannellini beans add a nice richness to the sauce. I use nutritional yeast in this recipe because it makes it taste cheesy. When I made this sauce my daughter decided to eat this instead of her boxed mac and cheese! This is so much healthier, so I was happy. You can still have “cheese” sauces and other creamy sauces on a whole food plant-based diet.
Cashew White Bean Alfredo
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time5 mins
- 1 15 oz can cannellini beans
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in water overnight
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes as desired
- Mix all ingredients in blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth. Add more water or stock if you like a thinner sauce.
- Heat over low heat.
- Serve over pasta and top with vegetables of your choice. I prefer steamed broccoli with this sauce.